We’re looking at some new multivitamin products at work, and since my last post on Vitamin D, I was wondering what other vitamins I’m missing from my daily diet. So everyone’s heard of Vitamin A, B, C, D, and E but what’s up with Vitamin K and why did we skip Vitamin F, G, H, and I? The answer: a German scientist who discovered this vitamin named it K because of its primary property in blood clotting (or “Koagulation” in German).
Where to Get Vitamin K
Naturally occurring Vitamin K (phylloquinone) comes from foods like green, leafy vegetables and green tea. Some of my favorite products that are high in Vitamin K are:
- Romaine Lettuce
- Brussel Sprouts (New for me! I just discovered this while at a restaurant last Friday. I never thought I could like this vegetable.)
- Collard Greens (so good!)
The other form (menaquinones) comes from bacteria in the gut (yes, healthy bacteria lives in our intestines). Bacteria in the gut produce a range of vitamin K2 forms, each with side chains composed of a variable number of chemical compounds. Menaquinones can also be found in food that contains bacteria like cheese and natto, or in animals that also produce the vitamin via their gut bacteria. Continue reading
Photo by Steve Granitz/WireImage
What a spectacles of fashion and beauty at last night’s 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards. Last night’s award show hair trends had one thing in common: effortless Old Hollywood glam! Jennifer Lopez, Rachel Weisz, Rosario Dawson and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley all donned styles reminiscent of the glamour girls of Old Hollywood with relaxed side parts and flowing waves — all styled using Vidal Sassoon and L’Oréal Paris hair products! Read on to find out how to get these hair looks at home with step-by-step instructions from the hairstylists themselves.
Hairstylist: Lorenzo Martin
Inspiration: Going into the night, Lorenzo was inspired by Old Hollywood to create a look that would complement Jennifer’s captivating Zuhair Murad gown. Lorenzo turned to a deep side part to modernize the Old Hollywood look of the romantic waves.
Step 1: Lorenzo prepped Jennifer’s hair with the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Triple Resist Shampoo and Conditioner ($4.99 each). Then while hair was wet, Lorenzo used the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Triple Resist Ultimate Strength Solution ($6.99) to reinforce the hair prior to styling.
Step 2: Lorenzo applied a quarter size amount of L’Oréal Paris EverCurl Sculpt & Hold Cream-Gel ($8.99) to condition the hair and prep it for being curled.
Step 3: Curled using a 1-inch curling iron and then gently sprayed L’Oréal Paris EverStyle Texture Series Beach Spray ($6.99) to each section helping to hold the curl and add texture.
Step 4: For each curl created, Lorenzo pinned the curl Continue reading
Last week, I had the honor of attending the launch of CureDiva.com — the FIRST EVER personalized website for lifestyle solutions and online shopping dedicated to women battling breast cancer — with special guest Giuliana Rancic. The motto, “stylish living through breast cancer” was designed to help women battling breast cancer feel like DIVAS! Co-founders […]
All women desire longer, thicker lashes. But no one wants to spend a lot of money on getting lash extensions or take the time of applying false lashes every day. Having dramatic lashes with length and volume makes your eyes appear bigger and can transform your face instantly. So, today I am going to share with you three easy steps you can do daily to achieve longer more lustrous lashes.
- Curl Your Lashes – This is the first step to making your lashes appear longer and thicker. Right now my favorite eyelash curler is the Tarte Picture Perfect. It has a soft rubber tip which is great for curling the lashes well.
Begin by placing the curler at the base of your eyelashes and hold for 3 seconds. Next, move the curler out to the middle of your lashes and hold for 3 seconds and then repeat on the tip of the lashes. Check out my video on how to curl you lashes like a pro: http://www.makeupgeek.com/makeup-basics/how-to-curl-your-lashes-like-a-pro/
- Apply TWO Mascaras – The first mascara you want to use is a thickening mascara with a big wand like the Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara. The bigger wand adds a lot of product to the lashes giving them a fuller effect. The second mascara is for length and should have a skinny wand like the L’Oreal False Fiber Lashes Mascara. The skinny wand gets at the base of the lashes very well and adds extra length and volume.
- Use Black Gel Liner – Applying a black gel liner to the upper waterline darkens the base of your of your eyelashes making them appear thicker. To do this, use a eyeliner pencil as a tool and dip it into a good water resistant eyeliner like the Maybelline Eye Studio or Makeup Geek’s Immortal and run it along the upper rim of your lashline. If you don’t find it to harsh you can do this to the lower waterline as well. To enhance the lashes even more add a small amount under the eye coming in 1/2 of the way.
You should be able so see a huge difference in your lashes with these 3 easy steps. I hope this helps give you what you need to create stunning, almost false looking lashes that everyone will love!
- Tarte Eyelash Curler (Amazon) (eBay)
- Maybelline Eyestudio – “Blackest black” (Amazon) (eBay) / Makeup Geek Gel Liner – Immortal (Makeup Geek Store)
- Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara (Amazon) (eBay)
- L’Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes Mascara (Amazon) (eBay)
Read more Makeup G
See you on next post