Kat Von D Esperanza Palette
Hi Makeup Geeks! Today I wanted to review with you the Kat Von D Esperanza palette to see how it compares with the Spellbinding Palette I fell in love with during the holidays. So lets get started!
Designed by Kat Von D herself, this limited edition palette is simply extraordinary! This palette is made of a sturdy cardboard construction with a magnetic latch, small enough to take on the go, however I don’t recommend it for traveling. Containing 8 beautiful shades this palette is clearly labeled and opens to reveal a small mirror, however this palette doesn’t stay open, making it very difficult to use the mirror inside. True to the Kat Von D style, this palette is adorned with sugar skulls and flowers in vivid spring and summer shades. The palette itself comes in a sleek cardboard sleeve decorated in the same unique fashion.
This palette contains 8 shadows, 2 glitter shades, 2 mattes, 1 pearl, 2 sparkles, and the transforming eye shadow. The concept of the palette is layering shades to create new and exciting looks each time you use it. Included in the palette is the “transformer” shade, used on top of the other shades to “transform” them into new and exciting colors. The majority of these eye shadows wore very well and were easy to work with, as the over all wear time was well over 7 hours with no fading or creasing.
Top Row L to R
- Selena – Cool purple with silver glitter. When swatched this color seems vivid and bright, but when applied it seemed somewhat faded. The sparkles moved quite a bit while I wore this, and there was some fall out but not as much as I expected. It wore well and lasted for over 6 hours.
- Dayglo (Transformer Shade) – Slightly green tinted white shade. This can be used on it’s own, although it will need an off -white or white base to really enhance the color. As a transformer shade, it transforms the colors giving them extra dimension and a unique finish. It can however be quite powdery, so it’s best to use carefully and pat the color on. I loved using this shadow over Placebo and Selena!
- Galore #2 – A sister to Galore #1 in the Kat Von D Spellbinding palette, this shadow is a very pigmented soft peach with small pieces of glitter, while Galore #1 was more sheer. This shadow was easy to blend and work with.
- Placebo – This is a medium coral matte shade that is very pigmented, and applied smoothly and evenly. While it can be hard to find matte shades that deliver both great color payoff and a creamy consistency, this shadow has both.
Bottom Row L to R
- Santeria – This shadow is a cool-toned charcoal grey with teal and silver sparkles. The pigmentation was great, it blended easy, and lasted well over 8 hours without creasing. This was anther great shade to pair with Dayglo.
- Archangel – A light aqua with a satin finish. I wanted to love this color SO BADLY, especially with that name! When I swatched this the color payoff seemed relatively good, but when applied it sheered out to almost nothing. Even when swatching this color it was noticeably more powdery than the rest. I give this two thumbs down!
- South – A true light matte beige, this had great pigmentation and was easy to apply and work with. For a very basic neutral shade, it’s a really great. I’m glad it was included in the palette and I found myself using this as more of a transition and blending color than anything else.
- Dog Roses – A copper brown with gold sparkles. My other favorite from this palette, as it has great pigmentation and blends well. This shadow has less sparkle than Selena and there was much less fall out.
Overall I really like this palette. I adore the idea of a “transformer” shade that can morph your colors instantly and give you a different look! These shadows tend to be slightly more powdery than most shadows, but need to be that way for the transforming shadow to work. Is it worth the money…..YES! If you love colors and playing with shadows then I would definitely pick this up while you can. Thanks for stopping by and keep checking back for more reviews on new and exciting products!
Where to Buy: Sephora
Read more Makeup G
See you soon